In the world of art and, more widely, in the creative industries, social media is a powerful tool for showcasing artworks, connecting with your ideal audience, and building your brand. However, with the ubiquity and abundance of content on social media, it can be challenging to stand out from the crowd. Creating a visually striking social media presence is crucial for art companies and visual artists who want to succeed in the digital space. Find your unique visual approach to make your social media presence shine. Turn your feed into a work of art.
Visual branding is the process of establishing a consistent and memorable visual identity for your brand or artwork. This includes everything from your logo and colour scheme to the types of images and videos you post on social media. Once you develop a strong visual brand, you can communicate your unique style, values, and personality to your audience and differentiate yourself from competitors.
To craft a visually stunning social media presence, it’s important to find your unique visual approach. This means developing a consistent style that reflects your brand or artwork and resonates with your audience. Whether you choose a minimalist or maximalist approach, a bright or muted colour palette, or a specific type of imagery or video style, consistency is key. Having a cohesive visual identity across all your social media channels means you can build brand recognition and establish a strong, memorable presence in the minds of your followers.
Don’t neglect the importance of all visual aspects in your social media strategy. They have to be harmoniously intertwined if you want to achieve the best results and boost engagement on your channels. Whilst composing effective, creative text is important, visuals are an equally decisive element of your marketing strategy.
- Carefully pick your signature brand colour palette, font pairings, and layouts and use them consistently on all social media channels when you produce visuals that reflect your brand identity.
- Make sure your feed flows harmoniously, even if you go through a thematic change or aesthetic shift. All types of content have to work together to keep your feed flowing. Curate and arrange artworks and photographs and design graphics that contribute to the seamless aesthetic of the feed. Maintaining a cohesive aesthetic across your social media platforms is beneficial when it comes to brand building and establishing a strong online presence.
- Curating and organising your imagery in advance is an essential part of a successful social media strategy. Before posting, it is recommended to have a clear idea of the content you will be sharing for the upcoming days, weeks or months. This approach helps to maintain consistency in visual branding and ensures that the aesthetic is in harmony with the overall brand message. A great way to accomplish this is by creating collages or mood boards that represent the mood and style of each post or group of posts. There are also many apps, like Preview App, that can help you organise your social media content, making it easier to visualise and plan out a harmonious Instagram feed.
- Don’t underestimate the importance of all visual elements to enhance the presentation of your artwork and construct a coherent, recognisable visual brand identity. Working in the arts means you already have great visual content available. However, even if the body of work produced or promoted consists mainly of traditional artworks – e.g. paintings, leverage the power of impactful design and impressive photography, and don’t neglect the importance of interweaving them effectively. The design and photography used to showcase them can make a big difference in the engagement and recognition of your brand. Eye-catching design can help craft an integrated brand identity and enhance the perception of your artwork. Moreover, photography is a vital aspect of showcasing your artwork on social media channels.
- Create mood boards. Mood boards can be a powerful tool in helping you shape a cohesive and visually engaging social media presence. They are essentially a collage of images, colours, and typography that reflect the look and feel you want to convey in your social media posts. Assembling a mood board can help you visualise different concepts that align with your brand’s identity, as well as developing a consistent aesthetic that will be recognisable to your followers.
- Create social media templates. By having a library of templates that you can easily edit and customise as needed, you can streamline your social media content creation process and save time. Preparing templates for different categories of posts, such as promotional posts, inspirational posts, and behind-the-scenes posts, can help you maintain a consistent aesthetic while also saving you time.
- Optimise your imagery for each social media channel. This is an important aspect of your visual strategy because different platforms have specific image requirements and limitations. For example, Instagram favours square or vertical images, whereas Twitter and Facebook tend to use horizontal images. Due to Instagram’s layout, horizontal images get less space in the feed, whilst vertical images are using the most space, thus being more effective in capturing your followers’ attention, especially if they are scrolling through their feed quickly. Each platform has its own size and resolution requirements for images, which can affect how the image appears on a user’s feed.
In addition to technical considerations, it’s also important to consider the audience on each platform and tailor your imagery accordingly. For example, Instagram tends to have a younger, more visually oriented audience, whereas LinkedIn has a more professional audience that may respond better to more traditional imagery.
- Save all your aesthetic resources in one place. Keeping all your aesthetic resources in one place can save you time and energy in the long run. It allows you to easily reference them when creating new content and ensure that your visual branding remains consistent and cohesive across all your social media channels. This means storing all your brand assets, such as your logo, colour palette, font choices, and any graphic templates, in a central location where you can easily access them whenever you need them.
- Create a brand style guide – a document that outlines all the visual elements of your brand and how they should be used in different contexts. Your style guide should include your brand’s colour scheme and colour codes, fonts, logo, editing apps, filters, photography guideline, templates, and any other design elements that make your brand unique. You can also include guidelines for how to use these elements in different types of content, such as social media posts, email marketing campaigns, and website design.
- Define and maintain a consistent aesthetic for your feed. Make sure it aligns with your brand voice and identity, and resonates with your target audience. Going through thematic changes is fine, as long as the overall aesthetic is consistent. What feeling do you want your page to evoke? Write down a few key words on your mood board. What kind of aesthetic resonates with your brand, content, and art?
Visual branding is a crucial element of any successful social media strategy for art companies and visual artists. To make your social media presence stand out, you need to develop a unique visual approach that is consistent across all channels. This means sticking to a signature colour scheme, fonts, photographic style, and graphics style.
From your avatar to your social media posts, consistency is key. When selecting your avatar, cover image, and typography, ensure that they are aligned with your brand identity and are consistent across different channels. Your feed is the first impression potential customers will have of your brand, so it needs to be impactful and attention-grabbing. With the decreasing attention spans of social media users, you only have a few seconds to capture people’s attention. A unique visual approach will make your audience instantly recognise your account on their feeds.
To create a cohesive visual aesthetic, you need to analyse your existing posts and identify your brand style. Is it time for a change? Perhaps you should consider visual rebranding and revamping your feed to reflect any changes in your brand identity. Design striking social media graphics that reflect your brand identity in concise, inspiring, and impactful ways. Alternate them with artworks based on vibe and aesthetic.
A congruous visual identity has numerous benefits. For one, engagement improves as your audience will be drawn to the consistency and uniqueness of your visual approach. Additionally, brand recognition increases, as a consistent visual identity builds trust and connection with your audience. Ensuring that your grid is cohesive, consistent, and flowing is crucial for creating a lasting impression on your audience.
Visual branding is a critical aspect of social media marketing for art companies and visual artists. Once you find your unique visual approach and develop a consistent visual identity, you will be more likely to stand out from the crowd, boost engagement, and build a strong brand presence on social media. Don’t neglect the importance of visual aspects in your social media strategy – turn your feed into a work of art and let your creativity shine.
Once you incorporate these visual branding tips into your social media strategy in the arts, you can build a visually stunning and impactful social media presence that captures your audience’s attention, builds your brand identity, conveys your message in memorable ways, and promotes your art effectively.
Here is the link to the full version of the article: https://dianamarindigital.com/2021/09/27/visual-branding-tips-for-social-media-in-the-arts/
Follow me on Instagram to keep up to date with my social media tips for the art world: instagram.com/dianmarindigital